Monday, 30 July 2012

Necron Aegis Defense Line

With the new version of Warhammer 40k allowing fortifications to be bought as part of your army, I wanted to try and make something for my necrons (given that the only kit available is for the Imperial Armies). So this is my version of the Aegis Defense Line with a necron theme.

There are two main sub components, a short and a long barricade. The short has two vanes/spars and the long has four.

The barricades are made from laser-cut cardboard that is 1.3mm thick which sandwiches a layer of clear perspex that is 1.5mm thick. The perspex was also laser cut.

The perspex was spraypainted with a thin coat of gloss green as I cannot get tinted perspex at that thickness.

Everything was painted before assembly.

There are three sets of the long/short barricades and these can be stacked to make a sizable defensive perimeter.

The necron glyphs are repeated on the back of the piece in a mirror of the front. The translucent green is supposed to represent an energy field rather than a physical material, with the little pieces being suspended in it.

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Necron Defense Line

Since 40kv6 allows fortifications and since my necrons would never stoop to using filthy imperial kit (you never know WHERE they have been) I have decided to make my own.

First up will be a necron aegis defense line.

I have got this far - doing a test cut of the main subcomponent in 1300micron cardboard.

There are a few mistakes with this design but once I have corrected them in the CAD file I will have a full set cut. Watch this space....

Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Necron Canoptek Wraiths

I have completed the first of my "new" necrons, part of a large order done for my birthday.
The canoptek wraith models are incredibly detailed an brilliant to paint. 
I rushed the paint job a little as I was eager to get them on the table but I have another three still to paint and I will take my time with those.
The back carapace was painted with an airbrush and have a nice gradient from blue to dark blue. This is the first infantry-level model I have tried to use an airbrush on and it was a learning curve. Next time I will paint more of it on the sprue.

Saturday, 21 July 2012

Steampunk bases

These cogs are laser-cut from1300 micron thick cardboard.
There are ten large ones (1 inch across) and twenty small ones per set.
There are five different patterns allowing you to mix and match,
Each set is enough for ten standard bases (assuming you want to use one large and two small per base).

I used this set to base my Techpriest Enginseers and their servitors

The cost is R50 per set, should you be interested. This is for the cardboard only, not the bases.

Sunday, 8 July 2012

Leman Russ Demolisher

Not all the models I have are unpainted... some are ones that I inherited that are badly painted.

This Demolisher is a good example.
I didn't try and strip the paint.
I gave it a matt black coat of spraypaint, then a khaki drab coat from the airbrush.
The cammo stripes are khaki then lightened with bleached bone.
The entire tank was given a bleached bone drybrush.

The entire painting time for this (excluding drying time) was about half an hour. I love my new airbrush!

Saturday, 7 July 2012

Imperial Psykers II

A couple of really old OOP genestealer cult leaders in here plus one gen-yoo-iron primaris psyker from Rogue Trader days.

It's Saturday and I have painted 9 models this week (the target is 5). Pats on the back for me.

Necron Overlord

Resurrection orb, mindshackle scarabs and warscythe. 100% challenge-ready 

Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Imperial Psykers I

With the new edition having all these nice psyker rules I think the Romanov Rifles need to get an oar in the water. Eventually I want to have a full size psyker battle squad and this is the start.